ALXnow’s Top Stories of the Week in Alexandria – ALXnow
What a week full of news in Alexandria.
With city offices closed due to Veterans Day on Wednesday, there were still a number of big stories.
For the second week in a row, our top story was on a fraudulent mailer that was sent out to a number of residents before election day. In the story, households with Joe Biden signs posted in front yards were sent letters with a Northern Virginia postage mark stating that Biden is a pedophile.
On Monday, we reported the third murder in the city this year. Yousef Tarek Omar, a 23-year-old Texas man, was shot to death in the West End on the afternoon of Saturday, Nov. 7. Police have released few details of the incident, except the victim’s name, the general time of the incident and that it occurred in the 4800 block of W. Braddock Road.
City Councilwoman Del Pepper announced on Tuesday that she will not seek reelection. Pepper has been on the Alexandria City Council since 1985.
“There’s really not much to say,” Pepper told ALXnow. “There’s a time for everything, and I just felt this was my time. I have enjoyed every minute that I’ve served on the City Council.”
We also covered the city’s recovery plan for parts of the city devastated by the pandemic, and it lists a number of programs and strategies for impacted residents and businesses.
On the coronavirus front, Alexandria surpassed 4,500 cases since the beginning of the pandemic in March. The number of fatalities is still 76, and Latino residents have the highest number of infections.
Additionally, our weekly poll got a lot of attention this week. This week we asked about Thanksgiving plans, and 60% of respondents said they were eating at home with their household, 30% are planning a small gathering with at least one guest, and 10% are planning a large gathering of family/friends.
- Alexandrians with Joe Biden Yard Signs Get Anonymous Letters Saying Biden is a Pedophile
- BREAKING: 23-Year-Old Shot to Death in City’s Third Murder of the Year
- ‘Clyde’s at Mark Center’ and Other Businesses for Sale in Alexandria
- Del Ray Staple Al’s Steak House for Sale After Owner’s Death
- The Waypoint at Fairlington to Break Ground Next Month
- Councilwoman Del Pepper Announces She’s Not Running for Reelection
- City Council to Consider Publishing Names of Delinquent Real Estate Taxpayers
- Upcoming Signage Plan Could Subtly Shape New Potomac Yard Skyline
- One Person Injured in West End Carjacking
- Alexandria Parents Start #OpenACPS Sign Campaign as School System Begins Partial Reopening
- Alexandria Surpasses 4,500 Cases of COVID-19, Counts Now Rising at Summer Pace
Have a safe weekend!